Tuesday 18 December 2007

The money

I keep on forgetting about the money, the thing with the money, well, I keep on remembering that I'd forgotten about the thing with the money.

We were in Glasgow, the other weekend, it was Saturday early afternoon, and me and Natalie were in the pouring rain heading to the farmer's market in Partick. I'm not a Glasgow bus person, sure, I'll take the underground, but if the bus is an option, I'll walk. I'm uncomfortable being that close to humanity, so its only if I'm in safe company that I'll take the bus.

So the bus was coming and we were sprinting to the bus stop in the torrential rain, and got there about ten second before the bus. It doesn't sound like much time, but we managed to catch our breathes and compose our selves, and there were these two neds at the bus stop.

So the bus arrives, and Natalie springs forth to get on, still catching my breath, I'm slower, so the two neds saunter to get on the bus too.

At this moment I notice a fiver wafting out of Nat's pocket, landing on the ground. I stood to get it, but ned no. 2 being nearer gets it first.

"Excuse me, that er, fiver, its my friends..."

"wha?"

"That money, are you going to give it back?"

"Wha?"

"That five pound note you just picked up, it fell out of her pocket"

"It fell out of my pocket,"

"No, I just saw it fall out of my friends pocket."

"Its mine"

"Fucking hand it over now"

By this time all of us are on the bus, the ned hands the fiver to Natalie, I sit next to her and both neds go upstairs. Natalie, quite impressed that the ned returned her lost fiver, made to go and give the good samaritan a quid, for being so honest. Until I explained that he did actually pocket the money and I did have get it back.

This anecdote gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling inside, I cling to it tightly in dark times. Its weird the way I keep forgetting it happened.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah a bona fide 21st Century hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna get me a costume with the underpants on the outside and a cape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm not those underpants you wore round at mine when we erm....well just not those ones! "Cash Snatch Boy" - rescuer of fair(in-a-bad-light) maiden's (once-upon-a-time) fivers which are then usexd to purchase fine ales for the do-gooder. Hmm..not totally altruistic there methinks. Don't forget you found a £20 note that night too! Your super powers are truly formidable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, Cash Snatch Boy?

    sounds a bit like an under-age giogolo!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete