Tuesday 14 October 2008

The17 reprise

Was wading through old emails deleting what I could and I trawled up one from Bill Drummond / Penikiln Burn from a few years back, something to do with Robert Anton Wilson. And I think to myself, that its about the same time period that he writes about in his book, 17, that I destroyed in a fit of disgust a few weeks back. It might be worth looking up to see if he actually writes about the same subject matter at the same time.

So I dig out my spare copy, and lo and behold the very next chapter to where I'd gotten up to reading, was written / dated the same day he sent me the email in October 2006.

Could I be legend?

Dunno. After explaining that the chapter will be about his dealing with Stock, Aitken and Waterman, he drops in a few lines explaining he's in on the ledge in his flat in Shoreditch/Dalston, on a indian summer's evening looking out at London.

And suddenly I remember why I had to destroy my first copy.

It takes me to a place, memories, hopes, dreams and heartache. So near and yet so out of reach.

And I know, I have to destroy a second copy of The17.

No comments:

Post a Comment