Monday 15 June 2009

Early doors

God knows how many people have signed up to Songkick so far, but it my sort of website, a great big user-generated (kind of) database of gigs. Its only been going for a week, so its safe to assume that the people on it right now are enthusiastic early adopter types.

I've been browsing, and by my reckoning the top ten most prolific gig-goers are thus:-

Rank
Name
Total gigs
Total bands
1
raysgigs37932604
2
SoapCompany736810
3
bobunderexposed710
1170
4
sonofhal639
1209
5
ghbradshaw
472
845
6
skif45
446
1014
7
citizenmeh403957
8
illandancient345
529
9
iheartmusic337
620
10
mellowdoubt316712

I guess 'raysgigs' is one Ray Morrissey, the BBC covered him a few months back.

If you think anything like me, you'll be wanting to know what the average sort of multiple of gigs to bands is. For the most prolific of the gig going people on Songkick, they've seen about one and a half times as many bands as gigs they've been to. More precisely 153 different bands for every 100 gigs. Sure, that's on average, but what does the spread look like?

For the limited data available, its pretty much a bell curve. I reckon the outliers are folk who have either seen the same bands far more often than is healthy (who goes to see The Automatic 76 times?), or folk who go to lots of festivals and not many individual gigs.

What about those folk who just see the same bands over and over again? Well for me, about 5% of the gigs I've been to in my life are for the same act, no prizes for guessing who, but how does that compare to the other enthusiastic early adopty gig-going folk on songkick? Well, its about the same. Joe Normal me.

But what's the spread like?
Just like that.

I think in very real terms the outliers here are what's general known as 'hipsters', whilst the folk in the main <5% spike, they're scenesters.

This finally, in graphical form, displays the difference between the two types of gig-goers.

1 comment:

  1. did you count that time we saw 2K at the Barbican?

    ReplyDelete