Monday 13 June 2011

Carving: The initial idea

There's this bit in Twin Peaks where Cooper and Trueman are sat in a police car and have the following exchange:-
Cooper: Wanna know why I'm whittling?
Truman: OK, I'll bite. Why are you whittling?
Cooper: Because that's what you do in a town where a yellow light still means slow down, not speed up.
I quite fancy whittling, I fancy carving something, making some thing out of wood just using like a knife and my own cunning.

I have an apple tree, its bound to produce dozens of apples, I could make my own cider, if only I had a cider press.

I'm not sure quite how cider presses usually work, but I drew a wee sketch of how I would make one:-

Great isn't it? Some huge lump of wood with a screwthread carved round it, sitting in the middle of a frame.

It took me ages to find the huge lump of wood, B&Q and Homebase had nothing even close to the size I wanted, then I remembered, I work at a depot where they regularly cut down trees. So, I got me a log.

Now I've got me some whittling to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment