Saturday 12 May 2012

Phone Box Library #79 Great Sampford, Essex

I fully believe that there are over a hundred of these phone box library book exchange things in the UK, its just up to me to find them. In idle moments I search of google, twitter and flickr for any combination of keywords that will lead me to new ones that aren't on my definitive list yet.

And so it was that I found this photo on Nicola Riley's Flickr, of the 79th phone box library, in Great Sampford, Essex.

Great Thaxted is in Uttlesford, about five miles from Saffron Walden, and has a population of around 500 people. The village park has a skate park in it.

According to the Parish Council minutes the phone box library / book exchange was in operation from March 2012, materials for the shelves cost £39.60 I might start keeping a record of these costs for comparion purposes, that would be awesome.

There's three shelves, so that's about 80 books. It looks like there's a good provision of children's books. Its hard to tell from the photo if Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code is in attendance.

The nearest public library is in Thaxted, 3.6 miles away and Great Sampford is served by a mobile library for forty minutes every fortnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment